Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

Post subject: Morrigoths Shadow OOC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:19 am 
Cererean Princess

Okay, so I'm officially making this RP. Consider it a mash-up between Cyberpunk and Biopunk, with a healthy dose of Steampunk and Clockpunk mixed in. Logically extend current DIY Biotech and Cybernetics to the level routinely done in labs, perhaps.

Background

The physical gods are, fortunately, limited only to their own domains, but their powers within are quite extensive (Ferrofluid walls can be quite versatile with the appropriate electromagnets, and with assistant AI, it's quite possible to simulate Omniscience in a given area). Their loyal servants serve as an extension of their powers.

Thanks to the valiant efforts of the Internet Engineering Taskforce, plus sizable anonymous donations, the Internet still exists in a shrunken form, though most use private networks to hide their activities from the remnants of the former world governments.

Many small villages, often encircled by impassable forests grown by those who meant well by engineering fast growing trees, lack access to the outside world entirely, and are terrorised by creatures such as the (somewhat inaccurately named) Werewolves, who are in someways vulnerable to silver due to it's antibacterial properties, but can be killed by any bullet.

The cities are crumbling wastelands, full of crime and villainy where what's left of the police no longer dare to tread. Enterprising individuals can often find work fulfilling the various needs which were previously met by the government, and each inner city territory is often like a nation-state unto itself, replete with urban farms - a small blessing of the Biotech Revolution was a dramatic increase in crop yields - and hospitals/clinic, often provided by charitable organisations. Much of the infrastructure is jury rigged, and many vendors can be found here, selling dangerous - and painful - mods, which offer new abilities such as increased muscle strength (always popular), better oxygen capability enabling one to hold their breath for at least as long as Whales, and enhanced cognition, among many others. These do, however, come at a price...

Those rich enough have sought refuge in gated communities, where they and their families can pretend the plagues never happened, there is still a force willing to protect them, and they can live normal lives. While outside, the masses live in poverty, often trying to storm the gates only to be repelled by tear gas, Tasers, and 2m thick concrete security fences.

Then there are the Biopunks themselves. Often shunned as the ones who caused the rapid decline of civilisation, they are the only ones who can cure many of the diseases afflicting the people, and the ones who put a stop to the plagues.

The plagues - the generic term for the engineered bacteria and viruses which spread through humanity, wreaking havoc where they go, messing with hormonal cycles at their most harmless and leaving people catonic at their worst. They were released by a variety of groups - notably, the radical feminist group Women's Liberation Alliance released a bacteria which converted Testosterone into Estrongen, with predictable consequences, while the Black Rising! group released one which caused an increase in melanin production in skin, to "see how white people feel when they're black". Others have no known creator, and were probably the result of a lone mad scientist.

Against this backdrop, an entity calling itself Morrigoth is rising to the North of Albion (Britain). It is unknown whether this being is - was - a power crazy human who melded with their machine, or the successful result of attempts to create strong AI. It's origins are shrouded in mystery, as are it's exact whereabouts - no explorer has got near enough to it's domain to discover them, and those who have managed to escape report the presence of a airborne patrol, known colloquially as the Death Guard. What is known is that, since this being appeared, those in isolated communities in the North have been terrorised, with reports of children going missing, and attacks by strange humanoid beings, referred to as Orcs, have begun. Those in the South who know about this threat are worried, though rousing support to counter this threat has proved difficult. However, slightly mysterious but renowned biohacker Gwendellion has gathered together what she calls a "ragtag bunch of misfits" together to counter this threat...

The Letter

Dear Friends, Companions, and Sometimes Enemies,
Those of you who have been keeping up to date with the news will most likely know of the entity Morrigoth, and those who have not will most likely have heard whispered rumours of this being, and the threat which it poses to our existence. Sadly, I cannot deny these rumours. The threat Morrigoth poses is a very real one, and we need more information on this being.
All of you will no doubt recognise, then, why I am writing this letter - I wouldn't be addressing it to you if I didn't think you would. Those of you who do not wish to join this quest are free to ignore this letter; I am not going to try to guilt trip you into joining. I have no need to, for unless my judgements of your characters are largely false, you will need no persuading.
If you wish to join, meet at Benny's Diner - yes,
that Benny's Diner - at 9:00AM. It may not be the most traditional place to begin a quest against evil, but I for one have been in too many inns and taverns (that's not a jab at those of you who run them, by the way; you do an excellent job).
I expect to be meeting all of you there,
Gwen

Characters

I'm hoping to have characters from a diverse range of backgrounds, from those who fled the safety of their grandparents gated community to seek adventure outside, to the hardened inner-city soldier who has extensive mods paid for by blood money. I'll be the judge of your characters. Now, for mine - and the position of Biohacker is already taken...:

Name: Gwendellion (Gwen)
Clothing: Whatever is convenient at the time? Dark grey trousers, tunic, and cloak - black may be more stylish, but it's easy to pick a dark area out from grey shadows - made out of wool mostly.
History: Born prior to the collapse. During the plagues, she was one of the many biohackers called upon to research for cures, and she still bears some of the scars of that today. Afterwards, she spent much of her time wandering, cataloguing the changes that have happened and researching the new physical deities that arose.
Weapons: Two knives, concealed at her belt; a pistol
Gadgetry: A link to the Internet; magifying spectacles; and a small laboratory concealed in her luggage - a rectangular chest which appears to have a mind of it's own to those who observe it.
Mods: Better haemoglobin, allowing her to hold her to survive in hypoxic environments; more myoglobin in her muscles, allowing her to hold her breath for up to an hour

Any questions?

Last edited by Corva on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Morrigoths Shadow OOC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:29 pm 
Cererean Princess

Think, in some ways, of Boyz N the Ring - many of the villages will have limited technological ability, and the Orcs have limited intelligence, and their masters will want to keep them low on the scales so that they don't pose as much of a threat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a6WO1g0yGk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:19 pm 
G.E.E.K.

Count me in.

Name: Nara, son of Michael.
Clothing: He wears a white tux with gold trim, however it's rarely seen beneath his traveling cloak. The cloak is of a faded grey-brown cloth and has a hood that is normally pulled up over his head. Hanging from his belt are his weapons. Despite his tux, he wears a pair of old leather boots.
Appearance: He has a small goatee and a thin french style moustache. His hair is well trimmed for its length and is normally pulled back behind his shoulders. His eyes are the same color as his hair, a dark brown that mimics tree bark.
Weapons: A kris and an old revolver. Though he can't tell you what type of gun it is, he can perform perfect maintenance on it by instinct.
Upgrades: none
Other equipment: none
History: He was born and raised in the upper classes of a neighborhood that is now a large, walled enclave. When the Plagues hit, his family went into hiding and came out when the wall was finished. He proceeded to try to talk others in helping him share safety with those outside the enclave, but to no avail. He finally stole his father's pistol and fled. He learned how to survive through trial and error, nearly dying countless times, as such, he knows well what plants to eat, how to treat wounds, etc. He also killed another bounty hunter and stole the kris now hanging from his belt.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:26 am 
Cererean Princess

Character approved.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:23 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
I am still interested, I just need to know a couple of things really quick, when did the plague hit in respect to the start of this story? Can my character be a recovering plague victim? I willbe able to complete the character after that

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 am 
Cererean Princess

The Plagues are a colloqial term for the various biotech microorganisms which spread through humankind approx. 15-20 years previously - such as the Werewolf and Vampire strains, as well as the Medusa (so called because it results in the body calcifying and turning to stone) strain. Lots of different "plagues" were around at that time.

Depending on how many sign up, I may allow more than one character per person - certainly, I'm probably going to do another (but as GM that's my perogrative), because Gwen has to know a lot more than the others to keep the plot flowing...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:34 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
Name: Wesley Drake
Clothing: Brown Sweatshirt, Blue Jeans, and Tennis shoes
History: During the plague the older teens of the enclosure he lived in were trained as the last line of defense against any plague victims who broke through. He left shortly after his training was complete, believing that the best defense against the victims was to attack them first. Of the six guys he left with, only his best friend and himself remain. They refuse to return to the compound having found the open world to be to their liking.
Weapons: A metal pole that shrinks to be carried and a crossbow that he straps to his back and a long knife sheathed on his belt
Other Gear: Nothing comes to mind, though I know he should have some stuff besides the basic equipment (food, water, and sleeping bag)
Mods: None

Last edited by alondor on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:16 pm 
Cererean Princess

Hmmm. Approved, but I'd like to know which plagues he was defending against... Medusa? Noferustru? Lycan? Some other one?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:15 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Would a geographic region give that to you? I was saying his job was to destroy any plague victim that got through the walls of the enclosure.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 am 
Cererean Princess

Yes, but... what kind of plague victim? I'm just wondering what plague, out of the many - bearing in mind most aren't lethal; some just change skin tones while others will drive the infectee insane - he was defending against. They're very much universal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

If it can cause harm t the inhabitants of the facility, he was to shoot it on sight. That would be werewolves, vampires, medusas, and anything that involves insanity

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 am 
Cererean Princess

Ah, right.

Is anyone else interested in playing? If not, I'll allow another character each.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I'm interested, but I'm not sure what to come up with. Right now I'm caught up with Minecraft.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:25 pm 
Cererean Princess

Well, you've got until Sunday. If mo-one else joins by then, existing players can create another character and we'll get playing on Monday (once I've posted my other character).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 pm 
Cererean Princess

Okay, start making another character guys.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Modscoming at a price, do you ean money, r do you mean something more ominous?
Also, Wesley Drake's History has been modified from what it was in preperation of my second character

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 am 
Cererean Princess

Okay, I'm very busy this week - my university interview is on Thursday, and I've got to go down tomorrow, and I'm busy all day saturday, so I'm delaying this RP for nearly another week. When I'm free, though...

Mods come at both prices - if you can pay the economic cost, you're still risking the mod malfunctioning and killing you (for example, accelerated healing leads to greater cell damage leads to quicker aging).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:29 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Name: Jerrick Daniels
Clothing: White t-shirt, leather jacket, Blue jeans, black combat boots
History: During the plague the older teens of the enclosure he lived in were trained as the last line of defense against any plague victims who broke through. He showed great proficiency in long range shoting with most weapons during the training. Shortly after his training was complete he left to help his best friend who believed that the best defense against the victims was to attack them first. Of the six guys he left with, only his best friend and himself remain. They refuse to return to the compound having found the open world to be to their liking.
Weapons: Two knives stored in his boots, a crossbow that sits on his back, and a sword that is strapped to his side
Other Gear: Nothing comes to mind, though I know he should have some stuff besides the basic equipment (food, water, and sleeping bag)
Mods: None

Last edited by alondor on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:47 pm 
Cererean Princess

We start tomorrow, I promise. Once I've thought up a second character...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:17 pm 
Cererean Princess

Gar, I just realised - 3 of the characters are all of the Gated's...

I may introduce a second character, but at the moment I can't think of one. Consider this RP open, though for a limited time, new characters can join.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:47 pm 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Is the rp still open? I don't quite have a char at this moment but I'll post one up in the event the rp is still open. Curious what would the effect be on a victim exposed to both the vampire and werewolf strains. by the by what exactly does the vampire/werewolf strain entail? Likely a high sensitivity to light a need to drink blood and lengthened canines due to the name vampire and likely wolflike features in an anthropomorphic shape for the werewolf but just how vampiric and lycanthropic are they? And does either condition necessitate any loss of control for the victim or is that mainly just the overwhelming new senses sending the victim into a sensory overload and then possibly insanity as they don't exert the necessary control needed to overcome the urges? Chiefly would the combining of the two allow for a more stable individual due to both conditions being at war with each other or would that just be one scary individual?

Beyond that what are some other interesting plagues that wouldn't require a loss of mental control?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:05 pm 
Cererean Princess

Yes, it's still open. I can't take it any further with only two players.

Actually, there are two kinds of vampires and two kinds of werewolves (well, I'm making the entire world up as I go along, so now there are...) - Vampires and Werewolves are plague conditions; Nosferatu and Lycan are, ahem, more spiritual diseases (i.e. vampire and werewolf subcultures taken up to eleven - heck, the entire world is pretty much the more far out parts of our world taken up to eleven; yes, it's very surreal - so you've got occultic vampires and werewolves with superstrength who hunt baselines during the night). The plague conditions are all the problems with almost none of the benefits, so vampires can't go out in the light and need extra iron, and werewolves are just insane, super-hairy people who are driven away from normal society - especially in the villages which have reverted to neo-fuedalism. There aren't really any benefits to those plagues.

If you're wanting plagues which don't have any harmful effects per se. there are the ones released by the Black Rising! group (turns skin black through increased melanin production) and the Womens Liberation Group (turns testosterone into oestrogen, turning males into pseudo-females *ducks and looks around for any MtF transsexuals before relaxing*), which I've already mentioned. The Gaian Protection Force did release a spore which turns people into Human-Plant symbiotes, by infecting their skin with a kind of Algea, which did prove difficult to remove... I suppose one might consider the slightly decreased food bill a benefit, but then again the lower metabolism you have from being a woman, and the increased skin protection from dark skin, could be considered benefits in the right circumstance. There was a virus which was designed to destroy white fat cells which is still endemic in certain parts of the world, which is either a blessing or a curse depending on how fat you are when you get infected - clogged arteries from all that sudden free fat is nothing good, and when you're ill your body needs it's fat reserves. There are a host of other bacteria which have beneficial effects, and some that are harmful, but can't be considered plagues due to their limited infectious capability.

It takes place in a roughly Hard SF environment, despite all the trappings of being fantasy, so if you want to know if a mod or plague fits just ask.

The setting is pretty much Britain and parts of Norway, with a near-permanent ice bridge linking the two since the climate changed. Some people have settled the ice, with reports of them modifying themselves to grow a thick layer of hair... these are, of course, mere rumours. During the winter, temperatures can plunge to -40 deg. c. on the ice, while during the summer it thins out significantly, so people are running the risk of falling through. The gulf stream still carries warm air to much of the UK, however, and the waters off the south coast can be downright balmy. Rumours abound of people adapting themselves to the water, though these haven't been confirmed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Permission to add long distance shooting as something Jerrick is proficient at and give Wesley a knife please

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:19 pm 
Cererean Princess

Permission granted.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 pm 
Cererean Princess

This RP hasn't really got anywhere so far, so I'm leaving it open until there is further interest, and a few days beyond that point.

Offline Profile