Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:29 am

Post subject: OOC: Battle Arena
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:02 am 
Master Old Dragon

<marquee bgcolor=white><font color=red>Hello! Welcome to the Arena OOC! Please read <b>ALL</b> of the rules before participating. This thread is open to everyone!</font></marquee>

The new battling system I have created is based around what I would like to call the “3 C’sâ€￾ of basic RPG combat. Each of these sections will be worth 5 points resulting in a 15 point grading scale.

<center><b>Cooperation:</b></center>
Even though your characters will be battling, you must be able to cooperate with your opponent. Cooperation means playing fair with your opponent's character as well as your own. Here are the two big cooperation don’ts:

<i>Opponent Controlling:</i> Exactly what it looks like: you shouldn’t be writing for someone else’s character. If you make your character launch an attack, let the other player respond as to how his/her character reacts, don’t do it for him and don’t launch another attack until the other person has done so. Your writing should leave an opening at the end of your post that can be responded to easily.

<i>God-modding:</i> No ones character is super strong, invincible, or untouchable. An ideal character is strong in a specific area or two and weak in the others. Take the hits when the attack focuses on your weaknesses and don’t whine if the other character avoided hits that were for his strong areas. Please make your characters and attacks as realistic as possible. (Ex: Ice will melt when hit by fire that’s stronger, you should have no “super duper iceâ€￾)

There are a few exceptions to this rule. These are as follows:

<i>Training:</i> Trainers have a bit more leniency with the rules in order to best prove their points and to help new battlers improve.

<i>Pre-planned Events:</i> If both characters have agreed on an event (such as the destruction or killing of a character in the battle). Both characters must have a written agreement in the OOC forum.

<i>Unbalanced Writing Skills:</i> If, during the battle, one character proves to have the superior writing ability (as defined in the next two sections) then they may take appropriate liberties. This does NOT stretch to the destruction of a character, however, and may be compromised if the other player’s skills improve. You should use your best judgment for this and if you are not sure, ask a judge to make the call for you in the OOC before posting.

<center><b>Content:</b></center>
Your post should be appropriate for the situation and hold the appropriate content. Content applies to the following things:

<i>Post Length:</i> You’re post should be at least one paragraph long. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you are making a lot of attacks. It means that if you are describing everything you are doing to the best of your ability, it is going to take up some space.

<i>Matching Response Content:</i> The content of your responses should match the attack you are responding to. If your opponent throws a complicated attack your way, your response should be equally as complex if you expect to be able to dodge it. Unequal response content will result in your opponent gaining the liberty to write some of your responses for you.

<i>Dialogue:</i> Dialogue in the appropriate places can enhance battle and help break up the action to make for better reading.

<i>Layout:</i> This makes the posts look better as well as easier to read and convey emotion. Nice layout includes appropriate spacing of content, as well as italics, bold, color etc… It is best to remember that layout should be used merely to enhance reading quality and is not to be overdone as a means to impress us with your coding skills.

<center><b>Conventions:</b></center>
Where content is the artistic part of writing skills, Conventions is the technical. Conventions include:

<i>Spelling:</i> Misspelled words are easily corrected with a spell-checker or even just by rereading your posts. There are no excuses for “typosâ€￾.

<i>Grammar: </i>This includes tense. Even the best writers have trouble with this. It’s okay to break the rules once in a while but phrases like “I ride a bike yesterdayâ€￾ are the best way to kill a written piece. Try not to switch tenses in the middle of your story either.

<i>Vocabulary/Word Usage:</i> You should use a variety of words in your posts. Make it a habit to try not to use the same word more than once in a sentence or paragraph. It’s also important to use words correctly. Don’t use a word if you don’t know what it means, because it makes you look foolish.

<i>Punctuation:</i> This includes capitalization, comma usage, and run on sentences among other things.

<i>Paragraphing:</i> Don’t put your entire post into one long paragraph. It’s not very attractive and makes it difficult to read.

The best way to clear up any problems with this is to write your posts in a word processor and then paste them into the posting box. It’s always best to reread your posts however to catch anything the computer might have missed.

<center>~~~</center>

So, now that you know the rules, where do you start? Here are some easy instructions:

<b>Make a Character:</b> Use this template to create a character. It’s easy! Just fill in the blanks and post it! Once you have made your character, post it after the template. <b>Please use this template and not one of your own, as to keep characters compatible.</b> There is an example posted with the sketch to show you what it should look like. If you are having trouble, please ask for help. If anyone wants the html-coded version, please contact me.

<b>Find an Opponent: </b>Post up a notice in the OOC thread that you are looking for an opponent, or respond to someone else's notice. Make it clear whom you are fighting and that you both agree to battle each other.

<b>Pick a Length:</b> A battle can have a limited number of posts before it ends, or a predestined “loserâ€￾ can be chosen. Just because a character may lose the battle however, doesn’t mean they lost the competition. How well you wrote will decide that.

<b>Inform a Judge:</b> Let a judge know about the battle, how long it’s going to last, and who is going to be participating in it. Make sure that at least one judge stays informed throughout your battle.

<b>Wait for Your Turn:</b> Make sure a judge gives you clearance to use the field. If the field is very busy, you might have to wait until some of the battles there are done.

<b>Arena Introductions:</b> Bring your character onto the battlefield and meet your opponent’s character. This is a good time to get in some description of your character and to size up your opponents writing skills.

<b>Battle:</b> When a judge indicates for the battle to begin, go at it! Just follow the rules above.

<b>Finish:</b> When you have reached the number of posts you have wanted or a battle has been played to its end, state that you have ended the battle and leave the arena. If a battle is taking to long, or a participant ceases to post for more than a week, judges may decide to end the battle and make the verdict using what has been written.

<b>Judging:</b> Every battle will be judged and a winner will be chosen, unless you are training. You can choose to have a complete critique done on your posts or just a simple yes-or-no judging of the winner. All judging will be done using the standards above. Verdicts will be announced publicly, though critiques can be done in private if desired.

<b>Problems:</b> If there are any problems during the battle or you think you or your opponent may have broken the rules, please let a judge know in the OOC and they will help you resolve the problem to the best of their ability.

<center><b>Training</b></center>
Those of you who are new at battling may elect to train with one of the judges in order to improve your skills. If you would like a training session, please contact the desired judge by posting in the OOC forum.

<Center>~~~</center>

I will have the thread in the RPG forum up shortly! Thanks for waiting!

~Sarina

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: [Space reserved for future announcements]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:03 am 
Master Old Dragon

<center><b><font color=red>ANNOUNCEMENTS!!</font></b></center>
<center>This space will be used for future announcements!!</center>

<b>June 7th, 2005</b> - Please do not spam up this thread with nonsense! (Draches... Alorith...) I will put up a "Peanut Gallery" for discussion on battles. This space is specifically for the organization of battles. Verdict announcements and Questions can be placed either here or in the soon to be made cheering section.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: First question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:54 pm 
Master Old Dragon

I don't think there should be a problem to it, but I would like to ask anyway. Can I use a dragon charater to fight? And can I have more than one? And then maybe for another battle combine the two?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: In Reply to Your Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:23 pm 
Master Old Dragon

<b><center>Alorith:</center></b>
I did not put restrictions on character attributes (such as race, class, elements, etc...), so you may use a dragon character if you would like. You may need to make some small alterations to the Character Profile sheet (such as scale color instead of hair or skin color) so it better suits your character. Try to keep it as similar to the original template as possible, though.

As for the question on multiple characters, I think I’m going to limit everyone to one character for the time being. I’m making a test run of my new system and so I’d like to not complicate things. I’ll think about allowing it in the future though.

Thanks for the input!

~Sarina

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:39 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Um... just one thing...

On the actual Battle Arena thread, at the top in the marquee, you say 'don't post here yet, but first read the links at the bottom' and at the end of the marquee it says 'this thread is open to everyone'.

So can we reply to that thread to say we want to be judges/contestants/whatevers once we've read the sign-up information ect, or do you want us to put that somewhere else? :-P

ALL HAIL SCROWL!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:51 pm 
Master Old Dragon

<center><b>Christian:</b></center>
<center>Good question, here's the answer:</center>
<b>Battle Arena (RPG Forum):</b> Battles ONLY! Nothing else.

<b>Battle Arena (OOC Forum):</b> Challenges, questions about the system, interactions with the judges, critique postings, troubleshooting, etc... All the technical things dealing with the Arena should be addressed here.

<b>Stands, Announcements, Forger's T+I:</b> General discussion of the battles, peanut gallery comments, announcements, a place to eat and drink and talk, battle verdict postings, Judge listings, the event calendar is there... You can also put up your own "ads", or wish-thee-well announcements, just because I thought it would be a fun thing to do. All of my important announcements will be kept to the first 2 posts so people don’t have to run looking for it.

<b>Character Profile:</b> Strictly for character profile questions and postings.

I hope the new system works out well… I worked hard to polish it up! :-D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:35 pm 
Master Old Dragon

<font color=red><center><b>A CHALLENGE IS BEING CALLED FOR!</b></center></font>
Okay, to get thigs rolling, I'll be the first to challenge someone to a practice round!!

Anyone game for some warming up? We don't need to judge this one if you guys are still uncomfortable with the rules.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Sounds like fun!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:40 pm 
Godsin Queen

Ummm, I'll take a go at it! I need some practice at this kinda stuff anyways. I think the only think I'll have any big trouble with is my spelling. Oh, yeah, who are the judjes exactly?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:17 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

hmm. I need an opponent as well.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:52 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

want to go against each other, Pandora? one condition. there HAS to be a grove of trees somewhere, or else I can't fight! I'll be too weak

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:35 am 
Godsin Queen

Hmmm,I feel like I should know you from somewhere,anywho! I'd be glade to take you up on your challange as soon as you finish yur character profile and serenity aproves use of the arena. I think she kinda wants to do her practice fight first though.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:25 am 
Master Old Dragon

<center><b><font color=red>Please disable your signitures in the RPG forum!</font></b></center>

<center><b>Galia:</b></center>
Thank you for joining my Arena!

Anywho, Pandora and I will be doing a bit of practice first off for fun.

In the mean time, you might want to follow the steps above to get all of the kinks worked out of your battle (such as the need for trees). When these things are finished and posted, I will approve the battle.

Also, if you would like to use the special ring outside the arena in the forest I am sure I can conjure one up for you. ;-) My only qualm is that you not use magic powerful enough to damage the forest if you are there. You can decide if you want the hindrance of this or not.

<center><b>Pandora:</b></center>
I'm going to call this a training round, as to keep things more simple and give some flexability to what we are doing. If you want to pick a length and battle ring however that would be great.

<center><b>I will post the announcements for these battles here as soon as I can!</b></center>

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:18 pm 
Godsin Queen

Hmm, I don't think the area has to be a certain size, just as long as it's roomy enough to move.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:57 pm 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

I'd like to sign up for a training session with a judge! What (or who) are my options?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:15 pm 
Master Old Dragon

<center><b>Elysian</b></center>
Please fill out a character form and will have someone with you shortly!

<center><b>Pandora</b></center>
Please disable your signiture.

For time constraint purposes, I'm going to put a priority on the training match with Elysian. I hope you dont mind, as I figure you will have a chance to fight in your next battle with Galia. Also, if you two could please take some time to work out the constraits of the battle as stated in the above rules and directions I would greatly appreciate it! I cannot approve your battle until you do so

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:03 am 
Godsin Queen

Ok, It's all cool with me, altough I have a feeling the lightfoot isn't going to show up. If so,I'll be in need of a new oponent,how long do you think I should wait for this guy to respond before giving up on 'em showing?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:25 am 
Master Old Dragon

<center><b>Pandora:</b></center>
Give it about a week. If you can't wait that long, call a three day warning. I think that is more than fair.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:18 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Galia is out so it seems, so Pandora will need a new opponent. If anyone is up for the challenge, please post a challenge here.

Make sure you check the announcements thread to see what battles are coming up next guys! You can also post up your own ads there.

(The new announcements thread is being built and will hopefully be up tonight!)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: DRACHES
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:06 pm 
Neophyte Hatchling
Neophyte Hatchling

*Delmerious steps into the seating area of the arena and takes a seat*
Draches!!!. i challenge you to a for-fun fight when this one is clear

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:10 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Will this be a practice/training round then guys? Or an actual battle?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:13 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Practice round i do beleive. and I accept your Challenge Del

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:21 pm 
Master Old Dragon

Your battle has been posted up on the Events Calendar! :D

If you guys want to figure out the length/battle ring/whatever else is on that list above and let me know I can approve you.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: j
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:23 pm 
The Forestmaster

Serenity, I would like to become a judge! How and when may I be able to become one? :?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:39 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

*rolls on the floor laughing..... then gets up and puts a serious face on*

Well, serenity it's okay with me if you just decide all that jazz. i'm sure Del will agree. so. yeah. that's it.

*continues rolling on the floor laughing.*

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Draches
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:42 pm 
The Forestmaster

Draches!!! You are on at the same time as me!!!

Offline Profile