Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 am

Post subject: The Experiment
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I want to get into roleplaying, but I've never done anything like it and I imagine disturbing the other long term plays her is probably a bad idea. Thus i though that I could start an experimental play to get into the art of roleplaying. I have a basic story (weird one, but it will probably work), and I want to know what you think of the idea.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: The Experiment
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:29 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
Post the idea, the worst thing that could happen is that no one writes in it. You never know until you have tried. So i encourage you to, forget looking both ways and JUMP

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:56 am 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
Ya who knows you'll probably turn out to be a natural :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:01 pm 
Cyberspace Addict

@ Alondor, there are at least three ways you should look before jumping...

@ Silvert yeah post the idea. As no-one posted in my RP I should be available once a week or so betweeen essays...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:29 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

alondor: yes I tougth the same but figure out I shuld take a more :poke: approach instead of :thwack:.

Forgotten Dragon's Ire: you read my mind. Which is by the way the reason I posted here.

Marik: Actually I appear to like the new name: Silvert. I'd chance it some day.

Well the idea is a "throw any character you like in her" rpg to keep things plain and simple. But before that happens I have to read a bit about rpgs just to make sure I got it right.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:00 pm 
Dragon God of Drageloc

I personaly don't like that idea, throw in ANY char someone likes without the proper knowledge or structure of the RP is like placing an atom bomb with a pentagram inside the pope's church... bad idea in my opinion (though it sounds interesting and kinda fun :twisted: )

You might be a natural, you might not be one; however the worst mistake you could do is create a "throw in whatever" type RP... Char story lines would clash and structures of magic would clash into a horrid disagreement between chars not to mention the clashing between Fantasy, sci-fi and reality based chars would also clash greatly and don't get me started on all the possible god modding that could happen.

here are a few things that are pretty important between creating an RP.

1) Type:
Sci-fi, fantasy, reality... and date the time it would take place between sci-fi and reality.

2) Structure:
Very important; state what the RP is about and what the story line would be like.

3) RULES:
So we understand what you expect from us and what we should not do; keep them simple. State what the magic and mutation/alien limitations are.

If you follow these three then there should not be that much problems with this RP and then the only thing that matters would be whether or not it sounds interesting or not.

My Website: http://drageloc.forumotion.com/
Where I'm At: http://www.roleplayerguild.com/users/126
My Skype: Drakel001
My Facebook: Drakel Pyrohell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:54 am 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
Drakel,what you said about characters clashing is not necessarily true. Remember how are dragons co-existed in dora's rp?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:25 am 
Dragon God of Drageloc

True but even then there was structure to keep them similar and from overly clashing; example, they both were dragons to begin with and that they both were connected by their story lines....

Imagine that an alien tech based char fighting with a magical, fantasy char.... or better yet a realistic Sci-fi mutant fighting side by side with a magic, mage who uses magic... wouldn't their beliefs in what's what clash??

saying that we should just "throw in whatever" isn't the best of moves until at least a story is up. That’s the point I was trying to make. Not to mention that more than likely we'll just post beyond chuck Norris’s and Mr. T’s godly powers in the RP without second thought.... "Looks at Drakel in god form... >_>" (the god form is the one that would instantly melt off your face should you even be within ten miles away.)

That's the reason why I was saying, figure out at least the RP type and get some rules and a story up before say "throw in whatever you like"

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:01 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

True, they would clash slightly, but only until the players figured out how to make their back stories relate. I mean, not to honk our own horn or anything but, we did have to figure out why our dragons looked different and we did so rather inventively.

There is a solution to any combination that we could think of. But you are right that the provisions of godly characters would be a problem but typically people do not like playing as gods

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:07 pm 
Dragon God of Drageloc

true.. true and true.

However Alondor, even though most people don’t like playing godly chars there is always that temptation in the back of one's mind to bring in a god char when that person is told "bring in whatever."

lets also not forget the true fact that EVERY ONE eventually tries to make their char look like the ultimate or make their char surpass the others for a moment for "show off privileges"

I'm not saying that we'll do that but I'm saying the words "bring in whatever" will bring in those temptations.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:34 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

There is a rule that forbids God-modding:
Quote:
Rule #4: No God-modding
You character isn't a god so s/he shouldn't behave like one. No one is all-powerful. We all have our drawbacks, so do our characters. This must always be remembered, and always be obeyed.
But as the game-master I can probably override it. Meaning you can bring a god character to the RP. To aviod the obious problem of god-modding there will be a rule for that:

Rule 1. God characters:
You character can be a god under the following condition: No god powers against other characters. That means your character is prevented from using his godly powers against other characters by some mecanism (this includes beeing convinced to neve use them again).

Drakel wrote:
Sci-fi mutant fighting side by side with a magic, mage who uses magic... wouldn't their beliefs in what's what clash?
Probably, when such problems arise, they will burry the RP or be solved. In either way this is an experiment.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:38 pm 
Proficient Young Dragon
Proficient Young Dragon

Drakel wrote:
lets also not forget the true fact that EVERY ONE eventually tries to make their char look like the ultimate or make their char surpass the others for a moment for "show off privileges"

Wow, I've never even thought of doing something like that. Most of the characters I make are either extremely weak or some thing happens to make them useless.

Well back on topic. I wouldn't mind seeing what idea(s) you have. I myself am too intimidated to post in the other RPs that have started already.

Tom is the answer to life.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere over the river and through the trees he is hunting the big bad wolf with a table knife.
Silv, Learning is part of the game, my thread Maelstrom is actually in need of a couple more people. Your welcome to join. I wouldn't mind fostering ya. many of the members of the thread are long time members of the forums and we don't anger easy. we'd be more then willing to show you the ropes.

As for creating your own, these are what you really need:

#1 universal back story. you need a story for the univers the players will be playing in. one that will help to envelope them but you have to be careful and set it up so the players can interact with the world.

You need to have some type of plot predetermined before choosing anything related to charicter criteria. for players to choose thier charicters they need a general model to base it off of. yours. your charicter crease a baseline that other players use to understand the basic boundries they have to play off of. and to create yours you need to have a general idea what the party will be going through.

#2 char guidlines. players need to understand the boundries that they must abide by in craeting thier charicters.

#3 you need to levi out information to the players in small amounts. the players need to know enough to understand the world and thier place in it but they don't need to know everything that is going to happen.

Offline Profile