Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

Post subject: Spyro the Dragon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:31 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I see something gleamingly missing from the Game reviews on DAD. Actually I see a lot of things missing. Such as the entire Spyro series. But most importantly "Spyro the Dragon". Which I'm going to try to make a review of sometime.

For a game that is 14 years old it has aged incredibly well. And still plays good even when compared to modern games. And I definitively recommend anyone that wants a causal platformer game to try it out.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Spyro the Dragon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:29 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i was never very into gaming, but Spyro has stuck out at me since i started playing it as a kid. i love those games. except for maybe Enter the Dragonfly and some points in A Hero's Tail.

do you play the Legend of Spyro games, too? you know, the reboot of the series that started in 2006 or whatever?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

The Legend of Spyro games were awful. I tried the Dawn of the Dragon and it starts with a boss battle before you have even been greeted with the controls. The dialogues are so corny it is painful to watch them. And the game logic is just plain bad. Especially since Spyro can "fly" in this game. Fly as in hover 10 metres above ground with no flapping required, except in some "puzzle places".

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:59 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

you know, i hear a lot of complaints about that game. i have surprisingly few complaints about it. i don't know; it just works for me. maybe it's because i haven't played anything better - i'm not a very big gamer.

but i do have to say, the dialogue gets pretty bad, especially Cynder's. in the most serious of situations, she says something that sounds like she's chatting with someone in the back of a classroom. :eyebrow: oh, or Sparx. or Cyril.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:18 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I don't know where to begin. It has the potential to be such a great game. But somehow it just fails badly. I could play Spyro the Dragon all day long and it never gets boring. Even after I've completed the game 4 times it is still the good old Spyro. Just like Super Mario 64. The same can't be said about the "new" Spyro series.

There is just too much focus on combat. I don't want to combat anything. It's pointless. There is an entire world to explore, but no I must fight an invading army and defeat some random evil villain. And what do I get in return for beating this villain? Nothing! Unlike SD which is only half done when you beat Gnasty Gnork and gives you the best bonus stage I've ever seen in a game for going back and collecting all the stuff from all the stages.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I gotta get a system. Or a better computer. Or something. I just got a tv, so it not much of a step.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:57 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i really have to respect how little you deal with technology. i wish i could get away from it that easily, but it seems to have become a part of my normal day now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:46 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Its not that hard to get away from it when your most routine tech encounters are getting on here while i wait for my sister to get out of the shower and trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with the remote. I should have tech cuz my dads a programmer for a company in dc, but i think its cuz my school has a boring tech program and my classmates are agood reasons to not get a system. Ive played halo reach at a friends once but failed miserably, but thats my only real game experience. I cant even play online games cuz my computer is a '02dell inspiron with xp and my internets always really slow. And wildblues suppose to be hi speed!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

You are not missing much, nowdays it appears that in order to call something a "game" it must include a weapon and an enemy to shot and kill. And this must be the prime objective of the game. About half the gaming industi is like this. And it's silly because games like the original Spyro the Dragon has more gameplay value than the entire Call of Duty series combined.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

very true. there was a certain charm to Spyro that isn't in modern games.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:57 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Im really in no place to judge, cuz like i said, my only real experience isplaying halo reachat a frieinds house. Unless playing and beating bloons tower defense 3at school counts.why can i only beat it ontrack 1in medium difficluty?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:52 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

if you ever want to try gaming, get Spyro - one of the original three on the PS1. my experience with Halo is limited, playing it also at somebody's house, and that was back in July or something, it was okay, but i think there's better.

i've never played the other one in your post, so i can't say anything about that.

Last edited by BeneathTheStarlight36 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Yeah, halo was also back in july for me too. And bloons tower defense 3 is in featured games at http://www.coolmath-games.com . Its one of the few sites the school lets us use. It looks easy but gets pretty hard around level 20. Or mayby im just really bad at gaming.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 pm 
Cererean Princess

Spyro was a great game. But I dropped the disc (for the PS1 game) down the cracks in the floorboards. I wonder if I could find a copy on Amazon?

As far as modern games go, the most addictive XBox games I've played so far have been puzzle-solving ones (from Valve). *cough*Portal*cough*. I like ones which require some thought.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:05 am 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
Portal for the win. There is also the fire emblem series if you enjoy strategy games

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I bought the second installment in the original series, Spyro: Gateways to Glimmer (also called Spyro: Ripto's Rage). Having played a bit, I would say the only downside is that it is so short. After just two sessions I have already reached 35%. I'm going to buy the other ones in the series too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 am 
Cererean Princess

I lost my Gateway to Glimmer disc between my floorboards ages ago. I think it was scratched beyond repair anyway.

I want to get it (a new copy, that is) and start playing again. I've got Enter the Dragonfly for PS2 as well, but none of the others.

Once I get my new computer sorted, I might see if I can play around on the modern game engine and maybe even do an updated version of Gateway to Glimmer, much like has been done with Half Life.

Offline Profile