Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

Post subject: So, what would a dragon be like?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:42 pm 
Cererean Princess

We've covered dragon flight, we've covered dragon fire. The general shape of a dragon has been discussed also. Since we're lacking any good discussions in this forum (the last post was a month ago...), I thought I'd start a thread speculating on what dragons would be like.

Please, science based - magic is by definition beyond human speculation.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So, what would a dragon be like?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:27 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

*gets my fire and pitchfork shield*

I would guess to be somewhat smart animals. Given time they can understand some words of whatever human language they are living around, but not well enough to communicate with it. Kind of like throwing a ball and saying "fetch" and it will go and get it. But seeing the best bet would be a wild creature I'll throw some thoughts out on that.

Of what we read in myths they seem to like to live in burrows or caves. In this would be a nest of some sort, it may just be for sleeping or young or both. Maybe like birds they collect shiny things, which may link to the hoarding of treasure part of their myth. And these items would be built into the nest, which like birds be more of a display thing than showing of worth of each item. They would most likely strongly protect their nest (more so if there are young it it), but depending on their size I don't see it as an attack on site. Most animals know better than to risk injury or their life when a show or "force" can do the job just as well. So maybe a lot of hissing and/or growling, with a lot of shaking and tossing of whatever type of plants and dirt they have around. They may even protect a false lure like some animals do. So get what is trying to get to the nest to go think the nest in on the right other than the left type of thing.

If not cornered or protecting young, I don't see why a dragon would not be at least non-aggressive towards humans. But this is often more towards the individual creature, and the species as a whole.

But as you can see. I think of the dragon as creature that, though a thinking creature, does not have the retained knowledge we posses. Is that what you were looking for?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:51 am 
Legendary Warrior

Well I would say that sums it up quite nicely, although I would love for. Them to be smarter (like an extraterrestrial being).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:03 pm 
hufflepuff head of house

Location: cross sections of spira, world that never was, hoenn, hogwarts, and the pegasus galaxy
And so the discussion begins. Humans have a serious problem with thinking they are the most intelligent creature on the planet. Now back to dragons.

I agree with vamp that the treasure collection might be from a like of shiny things, but then again who does not like a shiny thing? However, as the opening snippet shows, I believe the dragons to be slightly more intelligent then we give them credit for. Think about it, they were around humans for like, ever, and they probably did pass on their knowledge to their young. I maen seriously if they can learn our language they would pass on how to speak it to make survival easier.

As for humans, i think a dragon would roast us alive if it had the chance merely because of how we have treated them as a whole in the past

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:15 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Well I think you are putting down the intelligence of animals. A number of animals use tools, communicate, teach their young lessons and many other things. But I just count that as smart creatures. I agree with a dragon will be on the high end of that. But I really don't think they have the advanced knowledge we somewhat show. Sadly the only 'true' stories we have of them and how intelligent they are. Are placed with stories of a rabbit (or other animal) showing human intelligence as well.

I must disagree in the automatic hatred of humans. We humans have ravaged the world and its animal life. And very few creatures attack humans on site, and they normally have a personal problem or are extremely hungry to risk combat.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm 
Wanderer
Wanderer

About shiny objects, I reference the 2005 Discovery documentary, DRAGONS. In this show, they proposed the idea that dragons took in platinum for igniting their flame breath. They also theorized that dragons took in other things to attract a mate.
Based on what my peers say(People IRL), dragons either are near-mindless beasts, on the same level of dogs, cats or lizards or ancient masters of wisdom and knowledge. I support this second theory somewhat. I say that dragons would be fairly smart, their long lives allowing for more knowledge to be gained. I do not agree that they would be masters of wisdom and knowledge. They'd be more of a gorilla or octopus. Able to communicate and have mental thought. They probably would use tools, but it'd be kinda hard without thumbs. At least conventional tools wold be.
In my mind, a dragon's personality would be based on the dragon itself, just as any other animal. I'm of the opinion that they would be generally kind, but would get rather vexed if something approached it quickly.
The same goes for a dragon's attitude towards humans. It varies from dragon to dragon. Some would be mean and roast any human it saw, while others would be kind and gentle.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:10 pm 
Cererean Princess

What's the difference between a Dragon and a Wyvern? 6 limbs vs. 4 limbs, the ability to breathe fire, or something else?

6 limbs isn't hard to attain - some salamanders have >4 limbs, due to errors during regrowth of them. It's possible that a "Wyvern" (flying lizard) could have experienced a freak mutation which resulted in another set of forelimbs growing. Once you've got a 6 limbed Wyyern, it's one more step to a fire-breathing 6 limbed Wyvern, or Dragon. I could probably do it in a few years myself with a well equipped genetics lab... :twisted:

Or maybe knights just made up the fire breathing part to make themselves sound better... :roll:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i suppose that in this world (as others are beyond scientific speculation), dragons would be much like any other animal. i'm thinking like my dog, smart, somewhat energetic, but not like your typical idea of "genius". regarding hoarding shiny things, sure. shiny things look nice, why not take a few? i can't imagine it's like how a lot of fantasy images and paintings have it, though; those are giant hoards that seem a little unrealistic and unnecessary, even for a fan of shiny things. dragons would certainly have more concerns than collecting shiny things.

i don't think dragons would necessarily be friendly towards humans. humans are pretty much the opposite of what i imagine a dragon being like, so opposition just seems to make sense.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 pm 
Cererean Princess

Of course, tales of Dragons would tend to exaggerate features such as size, hoards, and flaming breath...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:09 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i've heard a few places in the past, some people think dragons would be a bit like cats.

from what i've seen of cats (especially kittens), i can see where they're coming from. i can easily see young dragons being curious and wanting to go everywhere and being standoffish sometimes and affectionate other times.

it'd help with the whole flying thing, at any rate. i'm guessing a reptile that would fly around would have to be pretty curious. also, dragons tend to be portrayed as pretty isolated, so that would fit well with the behavior thing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 pm 
Matrix Operator

As apex predators, they wouldn't necessarily HAVE to be sentient, however I would expect that they would be highly intuitive and capable of basic problem solving and possessive of a fair-high amount of cunning. As to treasure hoards, I think those stories were mostly fabricated as a way of encouraging people to go after them; certainly the looted possessions of all the bozos that died before someone successfully killed the wyrm would be worth a pretty penny.

Dragons are oft depicted as solitary creatures, coming together to form basic family units occasionally but otherwise loners. Therefor I'm guessing most of their behavioral patterns can be extrapolated from other predators who occupy a similar niche in the environment.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile