Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 am

Post subject: What are we?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:12 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Yes, another one of those depressing concerning threads about this place. Who are we? What are we? This forum will be exactly what we make it into. No more no less. But apparently there is no interest into making it into anything.

There appears to be this intimate (at least I have it) understanding that everything related to dragons have been done to death. You could argue as much as you want, but you wont get anywhere, so there is no point.

What is it we want? Everyone agrees to more activity. But what kind? If you look at the most active sites today, such as 4chan and reddit you'll see that the most discussed content is funny pictures and Internet memes. (So based upon that we should start making funny dragon memes).

What is it you want?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: What are we?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Honestly, I want the old days back. When there was posts on every section of the board, from the General section to the Role Playing section and so on. Like you said, the forums birth was with the fascination of dragons. However, over time that morphed into nothing more than people coming together to chat and role play. I would like for us to keep our dragon theme if at all possible. I can easily see the addition of more sections for comedic purposes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:38 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

One of the things that intrigues me is that the interest for dragons has not decreased. Admittedly a lot of the traffic is caused by franchises. If we remove Dragon Age, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon City and Dragon Nest from the equation we get a flat line with a peak on the Chinese Year of the Dragon. Not much has changed in appears, and yet this was a thriving place and now it's almost vacant. If we are just a gathering of people then I think Facebook is the place everyone went to. There is not much that can compete with Facebook on that front.

Dragons is niche. And that is precisely what I feel we are.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:05 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

it's simple, the old members left, which caused other members to leave, which resulted in this. that's what seems to have happened, anyway.

all we need is some new members who were dedicated to the subject of dragons, and we'd pretty much be set.

i'm not sure if this makes sense, but even in just looking at the design of the site, the (intended) atmosphere of it kind of explains itself. anyone interested would pretty much know right off the bat what's going on. i could mention this site to a person or two who *may* have interest in stuff like this, and see what happens.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:43 pm 
Legendary Warrior

BeneathTheStarlight36 wrote:
it's simple, the old members left, which caused other members to leave, which resulted in this. that's what seems to have happened, anyway.

all we need is some new members who were dedicated to the subject of dragons, and we'd pretty much be set.

i'm not sure if this makes sense, but even in just looking at the design of the site, the (intended) atmosphere of it kind of explains itself. anyone interested would pretty much know right off the bat what's going on. i could mention this site to a person or two who *may* have interest in stuff like this, and see what happens.

That is true, when the old members left they took with them most of the action. I am one of the few (what can now be considered) old members that still drop by. The websites layout was intended to reflect dragons, or the love of.

Getting the websites name out there would drum up more active members, but there is a downside to that. The downside is that we do not have a global moderator or an administrator that actively visits the forums to address any issue that may occur.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:25 pm 
Cererean Princess

We could always spend several months wikifying the old threads. Which might make people want to add stuff to them, and thus spark off more thread posting...

We could always begin several fiction works of a collaborative nature, but not necessarily roleplays. Perhaps have a plotline hashed out for each chapter, then take turns to write the chapter from the POV of our characters, but perhaps not occurring at the same time? So chapter 1 will be written by one person from the perspective of one character, chapter 2 another author and character, maybe rotating back to author 1 for the third, then author 3 for the 4th and 5th after they join and author 2 says they're busy...

We could always work on novelising our old RPs, similar to the above.

Or we could moan. But I live in Britain, and I come here to escape...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Kojack wrote:
Getting the websites name out there would drum up more active members, but there is a downside to that. The downside is that we do not have a global moderator or an administrator that actively visits the forums to address any issue that may occur.
That isn't really a problem. Should a situation occur, we'll simply contact Tempest and appoint a new moderator.

I really feel we should get some kind of dragon related project going. Of the kind that DragonRider is trying to get going, but without success.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:49 pm 
Lord Advocate Noble Dragon

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
I think getting a moderator or two appointed from some of the people who visit here on at least a bi weekly basis would be an improvement and would definitely help address any problems that may arise.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:38 am 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I'm going to contact Tempest to see if we can get someone promoted to moderator.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

I sent him a email two week ago, but I have not received a reply yet. September 8th is the last time I know for sure that he'd check his email. Maybe he's just slow, or missed it somehow. I'll send a new email if he does not respond before October.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
Legendary Warrior

Sivert3 wrote:
I sent him a email two week ago, but I have not received a reply yet. September 8th is the last time I know for sure that he'd check his email. Maybe he's just slow, or missed it somehow. I'll send a new email if he does not respond before October.

Thanks for the update

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i would love to apply for a moderator's position, but i feel like some of the rules need to be amended before i start enforcing them. like, i don't want to enforce the necroing old threads rule (no necroing after one week, i think?), when we have all collectively changed it to like 6 months ago or something.

plus, i wonder if something like that should be reserved for somebody with more seniority here. not that seniority actually objectively matters, it's just a respect thing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:10 pm 
Cererean Princess

Well, that's me and Kojack then... :lol: Wow, I joined quite a while ago. Like, 7 years ago. I was still a couple of years off my GCSE's then, and now I'm in my first year at university.

This was the first forum I ever joined.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:53 am 

Location: Somewhere between reality and someplace really deep in the depths of fantasy and not coming out
This was also the first forum I joined back in 09. I had just gotten my first computer while a junior in high school and now I'm a senior Comp Sci major in College.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:05 pm 
Cererean Princess

It's been a while. A while in which my writing has improved considerably. Much more than that has changed, of course, but that one probably owes a lot to this website (roleplaying).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

i don't think i have ever roleplayed, unless a few actions with friends count. if this site gets more active / gets interesting roleplays, i might have to reconsider.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:13 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Like I said in another thread, I have never really roleplayed before. The closest I've done is watch the Gamers movies (all three). But that doesn't count does it?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:09 pm 
Cererean Princess

Start thinking up a character then... ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 am 
Legendary Warrior

DragonRider wrote:
Well, that's me and Kojack then... :lol: Wow, I joined quite a while ago. Like, 7 years ago. I was still a couple of years off my GCSE's then, and now I'm in my first year at university.

:lol:

That is true. I joined in 2005 and this was my first forum as well. I am actually a senior in college now. Wow, to think I joined when I was 15. I wouldn't mind being a moderator here. I applied once a long time ago.

asdf wrote:
Like I said in another thread, I have never really roleplayed before. The closest I've done is watch the Gamers movies (all three). But that doesn't count does it?

I think it is a start. Roleplaying online can be pretty fun if the story line is immersive.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:40 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Quote:
Roleplaying online can be pretty fun if the story line is immersive.

I've been looking through the archives and yes, it does look pretty fun.
Quote:

This was not only my first but is currently my only forum.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:05 pm 
Legendary Warrior

asdf wrote:
Quote:
Roleplaying online can be pretty fun if the story line is immersive.

I've been looking through the archives and yes, it does look pretty fun.
Quote:

This was not only my first but is currently my only forum.

Well I am apart of this forum and another forum for Camaro lovers and owners. I am actually a lot more active on this forum than the other one. So far I have posted 8 comments there in 3 months, give or take a month.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:32 pm 
Cererean Princess

Anyone else up for a roleplay? It's a bit difficult with only two...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:04 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

Okay, why did everyone disappear when we asked for more players? I had a meme for this but it won't let me upload anything. But it looks like this :scumbagsteve: says site needs more roleplay, disappears when you ask for more players. It's not aimed at dragonrider, just everyone else who flaked out.

And we need a moderator to fix stuff like the broken upload function and that "general error" it keeps randomly giving me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:57 am 
Cererean Princess

Site errors are the admin's domain.

Offline Profile