Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:24 pm

Post subject: Re: Authors in our midst!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:23 pm 
Silver sorceress

Location: on the back of a black dragon laughing as the world dies below me
I believe i would bring peach pie, to revert to before King Arthur appeared.

I kinda like how In this one show on the history channel (the end of the world one) they viewed merlin as a crazy man of the woods who everyone revered cause he was who he was.

Shoot me for prefering that over the other ones, but it's cool in its own right. It also makes for some fun dialogue... :) Yes, i have done so.

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:26 pm 
Godsin Queen

Meh, never been fond of peaches. How about blueberry cheese cake? It's still tec. a pie right?

Blue tiger: while I'm still thinking of it I guess I could tell you a bit about it.
My book is about a girl who finds out she's been lied to for twelve years about who she truly is. After meeting a strange pale woman, her self appointed gaurdian let's her in on the fact that she is the heir to an entire realm. She struggles with both her hard feelings toward the only person she's ever known, and copping with constaintly running away from the current rulers lackies. along with a possible new love life, and the fact that she doesn't think she's cut out to be a ruler over anything. She's got quite a lot to deal with. I know it's a clasic plot, but I've done a few things diffrent that I think you all will like. Plus, this story takes place in a kind of final fantasy setting with the creatures and the sword play along with technalogy a lot more advanced than our own.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:33 pm 
Silver sorceress

i would consider cheesecake a pie.. .i wouldnt go for blueberry though... maybe raspberry...

and i like the idea....just make sure that there is plenty of a you twist, which i'm betting there is anyway. Maybe i'll have to hijack your writing to read.... <_< >_>

If you were to juggle a lion, and a house cat, the end result would look something like a tattered chunk of red fabric. The cat would scratch anything within reach, and the lion would just eat you. The lesson to learn? Make sure you eat your spinach.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 pm 
The Endless Prophet

Just don't let the publishers steal your awesome. I hear that can happen.

Mah Griffon is © Todd Lockwood.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 pm 
Godsin Queen

yeah I've been warned to copy write it before trying to publish anything.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:02 pm 
The Endless Prophet

Technically, it's copyrighted as soon as it's written down, but yeah, register it so you have proof of copyright.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:56 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Yeah that sounds like a great book Miravin! Also,speaking of copyright, how do you copyright your work? Who do you go to?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:26 pm 
Godsin Queen

well, I'm not quite sure, but I've been looking into a few sights that advertise free copy writing. I'll let you all know when I find one I deem dependable.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:06 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Well unless it is a .gov, .org, or .edu site. Don't trust it right away. Anyone can get a .com site, and I don't think they would have that type of power.

I like the book idea. My current "working plan", for a game mod, is a puzzle house of sorts. The adventures will need to use skills and role-play more than battle. With a fair number of really odd rooms and other things, that are not found in normal places. (for example a large room full of water that does not go out when the door is opened, you see a number of fish and a clock in the center of the room.) I may even use the concept of sanity into the game. Where as a character sees too many "unnatural" things they slowly go insane.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:10 pm 
Matrix Operator

Try FindHow.com, they're pretty trustworthy. just type "copyright" in the search bar.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:37 am 
The Endless Prophet

The only real 'power' it takes to copyright is the ability to keep the work in a respectable archive with your name on it. You just need to have some way to prove that you wrote it first.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:14 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Well, if only yourself has seen it and you have the only copy, that should be enough proof, but I suppose they would want proof that you didnt copy it off anyone too right?

Hey, and I was just thinking, with all you guys writing books, and the fact that theres a few artisty people here, including myself, I would love to design some book covers! :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:24 pm 
Matrix Operator

Can you do mine? I envisioned something like a dragon's wings extending from a gold pendant, or something along those lines. This is based on the Guardians' pendants in the story.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:28 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Totally! Im not the best but Ive designed 2 peoples tattoos, so I can sketch out some ideas and you can see if you like them, no problem! :wink:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:39 pm 
Matrix Operator

Just checked, make sure to include a gemstone of some typep in the center, any color will do.

Thanks!

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 am 
The Endless Prophet

What about, like, opal. So it's all shifty?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 pm 
Silver sorceress

ah, peoples' creativity makes me jealous.

Go for the opal, they are amazing!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:00 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Ok, that is so weird! I signed out after my last post agreing to try the pendant, ive done it now, and guess what? I did put in some gem stones, opals too!! That is so weird!
Ive done a few very quick sketches, I was going to PM them to you, Falconer, but since others seem to be interested, and im sure no one going to steel anything, Ill put them here....

Ill resize the pics if they are too big. The camera didnt pick out as much detail as I hoped, but theres a start, what do you think Falconer, any suggestions welcome! Remember these a rough...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:24 pm 
Matrix Operator

The... the second.. second pic..

AWESOME :!: :shock: :D

Excellent work! The larger one on the bottom image is best. I actually hadn't quite visualized what I wanted, just had tidbits of descriptions in the story so far... this is perfect, top o' the line quality.

The only note I would add is, there may need to be a shield shape somewhere in it, I don't remember if the shield was incorporated into the Guardian pendant or the Reclaimer emblem. I'll check tonight and get back to you.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 pm 
G.E.E.K.

I really need to find a good artist to draw up a picture of Rive. Currently on my forum, I'm using some random picture of an elf that I found on photobucket.

Here is my original description of him, It may change a little over time though;

Quote:
Appearance: He has long silver hair. He wears a black overcoat with hundreds of interior pockets (enchanted to hold large objects), all filled with blades of the people he's defeated. Has a large baggy white shirt and black pants. He wields a large broadsword with no stabbing point with runes etched into its' blade. He is normally found with a pet demonic bird that he summoned from the underworld. This bird is black, save the eyes and the tips of the wings, which are blood red; it has what appear to be small crystaline structures of a violet color protruding down it's spine.
Personality: Secluded, hates everyone he does not trust. It takes years (if not a mellinia) to gain his trust. Usually silent, most think he's mute.

Also he is an elven werewolf. Please keep that in mind. I have a sketch of his blade, so you don't need to add that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:21 pm 
Solitary Serpent

I'm with wut2say on this one: I'm jealous of y'all. I've only been able to write poems. I have one short children's book, but it needs work. And all of my other story ideas seem to crumple when I start to write. . .

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:21 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Hey, im glad you liked it Falconer!! The reason I did the litle arrow from the bigger one was so it pointed to the better version of that pendant, but If you like the bigger one, thats cool!
Sadly Dragon444, I dont draw people, I can draw werewolves however. I was thinking about trying to draw some warriors, just to see if I CAN draw humans. But, I you are looking for a really good artist, Dragon444, you should ask someone nice on Devinatart, im sure someone will do the pic for you...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:19 pm 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

Ersska wrote:
I'm with wut2say on this one: I'm jealous of y'all. I've only been able to write poems. I have one short children's book, but it needs work. And all of my other story ideas seem to crumple when I start to write. . .

If only we could exchange gifts, poetry is not my forte.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:05 pm 
Matrix Operator

You draw werewolves? What kind?

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

@Blue Tiger: I tried to make a good summary but after writing two pages on-the-fly just to explain the setting, I've decided to try a different approach. If people wants to know more, just poke me with whatever sharp object you find lying around.

So basically, depending on how much information you knew when the events occurred, it's either the story of a savior or of a hero turned bad. As I said in a previous post, the hero suffer from memories losses and couldn't remember past events, so his parents trained him to write them down in a journal (which is also the book IRL). For him, it's a reflex (and he continued writing in his journal during all his life even if his memory problem was gone), for his parents, it was a convenient way to make him behave in a coherent way and to have a small peak inside his "alien" mind (after all, he was an half-dragon raised by a human mother (real) and father (adoptive)).

Since it's a journal, the style is a bit unorthodox because when that little 8 years old (human equivalence) half-dragon writes the events, it's through the eyes of a 8 years old. So it may confuse the reader a bit or some things may confuse the character but are obvious to the reader. So at some point in the middle of the book, I hope to make people will flipped back to the first page just to reaffirm that it's still the same character.

Basically, the people holding this book, hold his life. The story began with a very simplistic character that will do anything to please others and face the many challenges of life (of course, in a sword and sorcery setting, life tends to be a lot more interesting). At the same time, the world is recovering [again it's a long story as why the population was on the border of extinction and then manages become civilized once more (ie. with villages, growing crops, trading... event if the overall population remains small] but divisions arise, conflicts erupt up to a point that no one would need the disastrous calamities that plagued the world to reduce it to ashes once more. Without going into the details, there was a war that threatened to push both camps toward annihilation. While this conflict rebalanced the world, the hero's story continue; love, death, fanaticism, traveling planes, lot of treasons... Ah, good memories. In a way, the story is never really over and continue to tangles a web of events. If I manage to finish this book, I know that one small part of the story will be much more detailed and told by one of his apprentice... But this is a story for another time, I suppose.

Offline Profile