Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:43 pm

Post subject: So Brisingr, how is it?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:57 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

Ok I have read a couple of reviews on it and they more of less say: "The story is great, I just wish he could write it better." I know we have a couple of fans of the book here I just wanted to here what you thought of it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:35 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Well, I havent bought it yet, but I will!! A friend has got it, and well, its really good. But I did hear someone say that there could be more in it, but theres plenty of fascinanting secrets and revelations, and gets more exciting towards the end... Hopefully I can get it soon though...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:03 pm 

good to hear that. I really hope nobody has told you the big "plot-twist" in it. Though what I understand from reviews most readers have guessed it. I have still yet to read the first one, but I have watched the movie. (but with a RiffTrax playing along with it.)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:02 pm 
Matrix Operator

Brisingr ROCKS!!!!!!!

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:09 pm 
Wandering Dragon

wow, glad you think so, I reeeeeeally want to get it!!! So, you didnt think it was in anyway a let down, someone said that...?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:17 pm 
Matrix Operator

No way. It was everything I expected.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:20 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Thats good to hear, and bet you cant wait for the 4th book now, lol :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:01 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
I really didn't like Eldest, and the title of this book hasn't raised my hopes any. I'll eventually get around to reading it when the library gets it. Oh, yeah, I work there now, don'tcha know? :roll:

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:44 am 

My guess is that if you didn't like the other you may not like this one. Big time if you don't like his writing style. The reviews I read are saying he is still to wordy in his writing.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:20 pm 
Wandering Dragon

What didnt you like about Eldest? I thought it was ok, but always get bored witht he first Roran chapters, I usually skip those, lol. But Eragon was brilliant, I loved the sense of adventure in it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:12 pm 
Matrix Operator

Wordy? I like wordy, it means the book lasts longer. And no, I can't wait until #4 comes out! :D

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:37 pm 

I guess that is true. But I like books that keep it simple. Richard Knaak's 'Legend of Huma' is my favorite book (I have no idea how many times I have read it), and he keeps things plain and simple. He gives the reader the benefit of the doubt that they have an imagination, and can tell what something would be like without a lot of adverbs and additives. (I am just saying this because the reviews said something about one sentience having four adjectives crammed into it.)

On a side note, I would recommend reading that book. Its really great.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:39 pm 
Matrix Operator

To each their own, and to all their due.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:41 pm 
Dragonfish Warrior

Location: In a sunken Nuclear Submarine using the satellite commlink to talk to my fellow dragon belivers.....
I'm really liking the 'Saga of Recluce' series by L.E. Modesitt Jr. I highly recommend it. Especially if you like the ideological battle between good and evil, order and chaos. Modesitt likes to delve into the gray areas between the two, but still makes it a coming-of-age fantasy tale. If you're not into that really, I'd still recommend Fall of Angels though, it is a prequel written in a different format than the rest of the series, but still just as good, even better possibly. The last book I mentioned is a bit more Sci-fi than fiction though.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 pm 
Cererean Princess

Just finished it today, when the others in my class were doing 'Art'. {Bah! It's not true Art, not by my standards. That's why I'm planning on dropping it}. I won't spoil it for anyone, nor what was found under the Menoa tree, or who Eragons fath-

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Yay! I got it 5 days ago, ive not got through it yet, cus im tyring to make it last. Im halfway through it now, and so far so good. I have to say that there is a lot more gore in it, but thats a good thing, who minds a bit of blood? I found the scene with the non pain feeling man quite freaky.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:31 pm 
Cererean Princess

Is that a typo? Should it say 'men', not 'man?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:45 am 
Wandering Dragon

No, I was refering to the one guy that was left, because it was very descriptive of how they were trying to kill him, that was freaky.
Anyway, ive read it now, its an amazing book, and I was just thinking, we do realise that the cover for the 4th book has only one option of what to be... Shruikin. That will be a wicked cover!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm 
Cererean Princess

Could be a spoiler and put on the 3rd dragon 9the last egg).

No, men. It was a horde of men not feeling pain, not just one.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:13 pm 
Wandering Dragon

no, in the book you dont get to see them kill the other men, like in detail. The one guy they surround and then ask him what he is, when they decide to kill him its quite horrific.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:50 pm 
Matrix Operator

True. That and the first chapter where they describe the cultic rites were not only the sole dislikable spots, but totally unneccesary to the plot.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:23 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Yes I found that quite gory too. And I know what you mean about it being rather pointless to the plot, I think that whole scene was put in to grab your attention to ensure readers will read the whole book, maybe lol. :) But it did give a better insight to the culture, all we got from the previous books about them was a brief detail from Brom saying that the priests often lacked body parts, but that first chapter gave a lot more detail.

But. in my oppinion the book was great, and I didnt mind his style of writing, its easier to understand and keep up with than Anne MacCaffrey's DragonRiders of Pern books at least, lol :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:55 am 

I must agree with the MacCaffrey books. I have only read a couple of them. But I just could not get into them.

But if you like dark writings, I would suggest H.P. Lovecraft. His stuff is great, and has inspired a lot of other writers. But really dark and deep.

But I am glad to hear, the books are still great. I just hope he can give you other books as well.

But if you want to read something that makes you want to take a break every other chapter read the Silmarillion. It is written on the notes from Tolkien, and I even had to reread some parts to understand all the information given.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:17 am 
Cererean Princess

Ah, the Silmarillion. I haven't read that one for a while. It completly lacks any dialogue.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:17 pm 
Matrix Operator

I tried to read that, but it was so boring I fell asleep and slept through the first three chapters.

What the Chronicles of Pern need are intros, explaining all the unfamiliar concepts.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile