Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:09 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:21 pm 
Cererean Princess

Perhaps reading them from Dragonflight might be a good idea?

Or if you're bent on reading in Pernese chronological order, Chronicals of Pern: First Fall. Beginning with the Exploration and Evaluation team which first found a Parallell Earth, Resources Neglible.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:27 pm 
Wandering Dragon

If I was going to recomend an order to read the pern books, I would suggest reading DragonsDawn first, it makes more sense to start there becuase that is when the colinising humans arrive at the planet, showing how the technology was and how the dragons were brought about, basically the beginnings of the humans on the planet.

Then I read Dragonsflight, which shows how people have declined into medieval times over the many centuries.

Thats how many ive read, I plan to get the next book after dragonsflight, then continue through time from there...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:47 pm 
Grand Master Venerable Dragon

I can't name off the top of my head the ones I read. But my first was an overview book. I told of the history and the peoples of the world. But my main love are the Dragonlance novels.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:24 pm 
Matrix Operator

Right on. Dragonlance books are some of the best fantasy books I've read. My favorites are the War of Souls.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So Brisingr, how is it?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:26 pm 
Cyberspace Addict

Brisingr was ok but its fairly generic and i don't particularly like his writing style. Not the 'wordyness', just I'm not keen on the tone or something...I'm not sure what it is exactly that deters me from it but it does. I'll borrow the fourth rather than buying it methinks.

I found the Pern books fairly boring and just couldn't get into them at all. Dragonlance is so much better, however I prefer another series by Weiss and Hickman, 'The Rose Of The Prophet' (that's not the series, that's the first book, but the name of the trilogy eludes me at this point). For good fantasy writing, check out the Split Infinity trilogy by Piers Anthony

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:38 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Ive heard a lot about these dragonlance books, im going to have to check them out...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:47 am 

The best to start with is The Chronicles Trilogy (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning.) It was the first and by far the best. It is even based on a real game they played through. And if you are like me you will cry in the 2nd novel and again in the 3rd. I won't tell you what made me cry. (but readers of the books know)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:05 am 
Cererean Princess

Dragonmaster? Heard of them?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:44 pm 
Matrix Operator

vampirehunter42 wrote:
And if you are like me you will cry in the 2nd novel and again in the 3rd. I won't tell you what made me cry. (but readers of the books know)

We will? :? I read that series, and nothing in it made me cry.

-Tucker Max

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 pm 
Wandering Dragon

Does it have good or bad dragons or both in them? And if it made you cry, dont tell me, one of the dragons died? :cry:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:29 pm 

Yes, both good and evil dragons. And I will have to tell you there is dragon death, both good and evil. But they don't really connect you with many of them. For a great dragon based one find one with a lot of dragon stuff to them, find The Lost Histories Volume VI: The Dragons. It goes through a number of generations of dragons, from the start of the world almost up to the end of the Chronicles books. It is really great. Also The Legend of Huma, it has a fair amount of dragons to it and it is one of the best books in the series. (it is by far my favorite)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm 
Knowledgeable Dragon

anyone know when Brisingr is coming out in paperback? because I think I want to get it, but I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of $$$ for a hardcover. Plus I have the other 2 in paperback, so a matching one would be cool.
I liked most of the Pern series....the ones about Lessa mostly, and the ones about Harper Hall (Menolly). I've tried reading the rest, but they seem kind of contrived.

who wrote the dragonlance novels? just because it's really hard to search by title at my local libraries.

Now and then I announce "I know you're listening" to empty rooms. If I'm wrong, no one knows. And if I'm right, maybe i just freaked the hell out of some secret organization. It's basically Paschal's wager for the paranoid prankster.

~~ http://www.xkcd.com ~~

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 pm 

You will have a bit of trouble because of multi writers worked on them but a good short list is: Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis, Richard A. Knaak, Douglas Niles, Roger E. Moore, Don Perrin, Jean Rabe, Paul B. Thompson, Tonya C. Cook, Michael Williams, Nancy Varian Berberick and Chris Pierson. The main writers are Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis, both are great writers on their own. I would like to note there are a large number of novels. Link

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:57 am 
Godsin Queen

oh god not another one of thesepeople. :|

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:04 am 
Dragon's Egg
Dragon's Egg

it's good and i think you should read it and there is a second (eldest) i have it but i never read it in the end maybe i should...

Offline Profile